Brown Mold: What is it?

Many types of mold tend to thrive in wet areas, such as leaky bathrooms or standing water. Brown hairy mold is one of the types of fungus that is often found in damp bathrooms or under carpets that have suffered from water damage. Scientifically known as Stemonitis sp., this mold can appear powdery or hairy, which gives the mold its common name.

Bathroom tiles that are loose or carpeting that has become wet are excellent habitats for this type of mold to thrive. Sometimes a leak can be seen in the ceiling above the moldy area. This needs to be fixed and the ceiling dried out in order for the mold to be removed without coming back. It is obvious, with a brown fuzzy look.

Brown hairy mold is not necessarily toxic, although it can be dangerous for people with allergies or compromised immune systems. However, it can be very difficult to remove. It is generally best to call a professional to remove this type of mold, as it can crumble into powder, and the spores can easily become airborne and spread the mold.

When in any doubt, bring a professional in to identify and remove the mold. This is especially important if anyone in the household is showing any signs of mold toxicity such as trouble breathing, skin rashes, watery eyes, or unexplained headaches. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to your home and your family’s health.